Class 52 'Western' Diesel Hydraulic Locomotive
No D1010 'Western Campaigner'
Built by British Railways at Swindon in October 1962.
First allocated Depot was 81A London Old Oak Common
Withdrawn in February 1977 and preserved by the DEPG shortly after
D1010 is the pride of the fleet at Williton, a beast of a locomotive with two MD655 engines fitted. The
loco was stored outside Merehead quarry for a number of years before being preserved by the DEPG
first at Didcot then at Williton.
Today the loco has a dedicated team of hardy volunteers who keep the loco working.
Engine: 2 x Maybach MD655 V12 turbocharged and intercooled 65 litre diesels
Transmission: 2 x Voith L630 hydraulic transmissions
Weight: 108 tons
Length: 68 ft
Output: 2 x 1350 at 1500 rpm - 2700 hp
BR Power Rating: Type 4
Fuel Capacity: 800 gallons
Class: Class 52
Lifespan: 1962 - 1977
Role: Heavy Frieght & Express Passenger
The Westerns were the Western region's diesel hydraulic flagship. Designed for express passenger
work, they were equally at home on heavy freight. D1010 is one of 74 locos built from 1961 to 1963.
All locos were named, each name beginning with the word "Western".
Built at Swindon and Crewe works, the Westerns first appeared on the scene in 1961. They were the
last of the Diesel Hydraulic classes to be withdrawn from service as non-standard. The last four
examples (including D1010) disappeared from service in February 1977. Such was their popularity
with enthusiasts, seven locos were saved for preservation, and all but two of these are currently
D1010 carries it's original livery of BR maroon with small yellow warning panels.