Update from last couple of weekends. 3rd Feb and previous week.  
By Paul Tucker,
Tom Courtney, Graham Perry and Ian Robins.


D7017
has undergone some surgery over the winter. At the week-end of 27th/28th January Graham and
Paul, assisted in part by Martin Howard, Tom Courtney, and Leroy Ford removed the batteries from    
D7017’s boiler room, then the metal frame and old scrap cylinder heads and BIS (Battery Isolation Switch)
at which point it was discovered that the cables to the BIS ran through the tank.

Finally we removed the tank itself so that it matches the work undertaken in D7018, allowing the Battery
frame built by Bob Clegg to be installed with the new set of batteries. Before the installation the area will
need to be cleaned of all the sludge then needle gunned and painted. The tank was then forklifted into the
waiting skip.

The following weekend Phil and Terry have continued on with piping up the 2 exhausters to the silencers
under the loco. Meanwhile Graham has over that weekend needle gunned out the corroded boiler room
and treated the inside of the body with some anti-rust treatment and then red oxide the floor and the walls.

Photos below of the tank being removed and then the excellent work to treat the area left
by Paul and
Graham



An update now on
D6566 and D6575 by Ian.
D6566 - On Saturday Will and I finally got to change the oil and filters.  Hallett SAE30 engine oil has been
put in matching that in D6575.  Took most of the day but we managed to get the engine started by late
afternoon and ran it for about an hour to confirm there were no leaks.  The oil pressure went off the scale
to start with, i.e. over 80psi, one of the issues with using a monograde oil I suppose!
Gave the AWS a try but unable to reset it so more work required there.
On Sunday Andy P was down and we decided to test the rebuilt exhauster using a set of batteries ex
D7017. Tried it with half volts to start with and it rotated ok so went for everything in!
Not much happened to start with but after a short period the vanes freed up and vacuum was created.
Up to 26” no problem against the hole in the test disc and over 30” if you blocked the hole.
We ran it for a few minutes and everything looked and sounded ok, so we may have a winner!
We then gave it a lick of paint all over.



D6575 – The loco is required back in service by the WSR in the next couple of weeks.
On Saturday
27th Jan Andy performed an examination of the Control Cubicle and thoroughly cleaned it.
John Cooke has installed the second recently acquired AWS Power Converter but it will be some time
before we can use AWS on that loco due to some rewiring being required.
 The battery electrolyte levels
were checked, about half needed topping up.
On Sunday I performed a main and auxiliary generator
examination and cleaning involving rotation of the brushgear and barring the engine around.
I noted a place where the varnishing was slightly chipped and it was possible to see solder underneath.
This has been coated with grey anti-tracking paint (not got any red) so at least we shall easily be able to
locate the spot again!
Then had a look at the No.1 cab secondmans windscreen wiper that was not
working.
I had already established that the drive pin had sheared and upon removal found it was the last one not to
have my M6 bolt mod, too difficult to go into detail though!
So the shaft was drilled and tapped and with a bolt fitted it now works ok.
Thomas gave the loco a good wash but the paintwork is starting to look rather shabby
The following week while we were dealing with the oil, Andy R and prospective 33 driver John Leach
cleaned the cabs and topped everything up.
It is due to do a shunt at WN on Thursday and then work
some stock through to BL on Friday where it will stay for a while.
John Cooke has continued with the AWS
installation.
Photos below from Ian to accompany the report.